We have officially entered into a new year! WHOO-HOO! *we started at the bottom now we here!* 2017 taught me a lot about myself and my business. I learned some valuable lessons that I am excited to implement in my life and in my business.
There are so many lessons that I have learned but I will give you the short version! Otherwise, you will be reading for years LOL!
Here are my 2017 Business Lessons:
- Use the word “NO” often. Earlier this year I committed to helping a friend out with an event. Scratch that….I committed to helping a mentor and woman whom I had admired tremendously. I said I would pass along sponsorship information and contacts for her event. Somehow there was a miscommunication. She was under the impression that I would be undertaking her sponsorship coordinator role. I should of said NO, when I realized that we were not on the same page. But, I felt bad and again I respected this person. I tried to see the positive in the situation which was that I would get the benefit of working with other women at her event and building new connections. Not to mention, I was not getting paid *inserts side-eye*. Again, I felt bad and really believed in her vision so I agreed to a commission in addition to a flight and admission into the event. In short, this arrangement damaged our relationship and respect I initially had for this person. All of this could had been avoided if I had said NO. The lesson here is to say NO to things that does not serve your purpose. Even if it is coming from family. NO is a complete statement and you do not have to explain yourself to anyone.
- Focus on YOU! Keep your head down and focus on you! We are in a time of social media where we can so easily get distracted from the course that we are on. I found myself several times during 2017 getting distracted and as a result I would discouraged. You have to focus on your own badassery and celebrate other women who are doing the damn thing too! The lesson here is to be confident in your gifts and talents and don’t try to dim your shine to blend in with others. DO YOU BOO!
- Quality over Quantity. This lesson really hit home for me last year. I always felt like I was doing something wrong in my business . I would see a lot of people enrolling hundreds or even thousands in their online webinars and immediately feel like a failure. Thoughts of self-doubt wold creep in. Then I had to ask myself honestly, “why do you want all these people registered for your webinars?” I thought from some odd reason that quantity meant business success. NOPE! The last quarter of 2017 I scaled the amount of businesswomen that I worked with. I also restructured my service offerings! It was the best thing I have ever done in my business. I now work with an intimate group of women. I am no longer burned out. I am able to charge more due to the exclusivity of my services. ANDDDDD the most important thing to me is that I have an opportunity to build authentic and transparent relationships with these women. The lesson here is to focus on quality always. The numbers mean nothing if the value is missing. Plus your sanity is priceless. Do you really want to be bothered with thousands of people at a given time? UM, NO! I am an introvert and I would lose my mind with that many interactions.
- “F” Perfection. So I am embarrassed to say this because it is something that I rant about all over social media and even with my clients! I always say put your #BigGirlPanties on ; however, in this particular area of my business my panties were still sitting in the drawer! I had a ton of online courses I wanted to release in 2017, but they had to be absolutely PERFECT! I wanted the lighting and sound quality to be LIT! I wanted them to be professionally recorded. As a result of my perfection obsession I missed out on opportunities to generate sales and assist other women with building their businesses. The lesson here is to take risks and understand that NOTHING in your business is going to be perfect. When we allow PERFECTION to win it paralyzes our opportunity for us to operate at our highest vibration in all areas of outlives.
- The Power of Relationships. This year I decided I needed someone to guide me with wisdom so that I can grow further in my business. Someone with a different perspective on business. I have been looking for a business mentor for years and had not had any luck finding one. But this year I met a woman at an interview we did together. She extended the invitation about 7 months prior to me reaching back out to her. To my surprise she said yes. We met and we knew instantly we would be a good fit. When I say this woman has showed up and showed out . She has. She has sent me resources and power connections to the heavy hitters here in Detroit, Michigan that could really open some doors for my business. The lesson here is to understand that your relationships should be powerful. We need relationships to grow personally and professionally. There is only so much we can do on our own. Make sure you are building key relationships. They can open doors for you that you don’t even have the keys to.
AND it’s a wrap sis! 2017 was the warm-up. 2018 is the GAME is ! You got your game face ready? I did not come to sit on a bench. I came to WIN!
So tell me sis, what business lessons did 2017 teach you ?
Wishing you kill the game in 2018!
Your Business and Legal Strategist,